Drama Duo Assignment
Prepare a scene from a play or movie with
two (or more if necessary) characters that interact. You must read or see the entire play or
movie so that you understand the characters and the situation within the
context of the entire plot. Otherwise, it is easy to misinterpret your scene.
The scene must be chiefly dialogue with some action included that can be
portrayed in the classroom. Many movie scripts are available through the
- Share the introduction with your partner.
- Tell the audience the name of the work and the
writer, what your set represents, and whatever is necessary to understand
what happens in your scene (don’t tell what happens).
- Each performer will introduce his/her own
character. (“I am....”)
- be good literature.
- be 5-8 minutes (6-9 trio) in length (5 point
penalty for time violations).
- have dramatic conflict.
- have clear, interesting characters.
- be completely scripted, with markings for pauses,
mood changes, word emphasis, focus, and action.
- have blocked movement even if there is none
written in the script. Just
be sure that it is motivated.
- dress neutrally or in a way that reflects your
- set the stage with available chairs, desks, etc.
or bring your own.
- use props if desired, just don’t let them
Analysis (to be turned in the day of your performance):
title and author of the play or movie.
Discuss the following. The first four may be written jointly.
Please number your responses.
- What is the setting of your
scene (time and place)? Be
specific. or a mall) ?
- What happens in your scene
- Describe the conflict in your
scene (another person, self, situation)?
- What is the climactic point of
the scene? (You and your partner must agree on this and play the scene so
the audience “gets it.”)
- Describe your character in
physical and emotional detail: Sex, age, vocal distinctiveness, gesture,
posture, social background, emotional maturity, style, etc.
- Describe your relationship to
the other character in your scene: Friend, stranger, enemy, relative, love, hate, indifferent, afraid,
(5 & 6 are
just for your character)
of selection are allowed. This
assignment is worth 100 points: 90 performance, 10 analysis.